For a recent project I made an inflatable version of the SalesForce tower that is currently being constructed in San Francisco. Here are some images of how it was constructed!
The base is made out of rip-stop nylon sewn in kind of prism shape. As you can see, I am making an estimated scaled down version.
While the base is good at holding things like fan and air, it doesn’t look like the building! So I made a little overlay for the base (like a shirt).
Here is some nice luminescent sheer fabric from the Halloween section at a fabric store. I sewed some lines with black thread for the vertical lines.
Here it is after in a pile!
To make the horizontal windows, I sewed a bunch of tucks. Basically fold the fabric, iron it, and sew a 1/4″ along the fold. As you can see, I am working across the whole fabric rather than cutting out the separate pieces for the building and then sewing/tucking/pleating each one.
Got too wrapped in the building and forgot to take photos while I was cutting the pattern and sewing it together. Since the fabric tends to fray pretty easily, I used French seams (~~~super fancy~~~~) for the sides and some improvised binding for “U” shapes on the top.
Standing on it’s own!
Speculative app design to help you meet you your next meal.
I’ve been learning how to use P5js for some coding projects. It’s really fun and forgiving and you can make some fun lil things.
Here is a random bird generator inspired by Darwin’s finches.
Here is a generative streetscape.
Here is a snake clock based off an illustration from The Little Prince. Over the course of 24 hours, the snake will slowly digest the elephant..
Laser cut fabric that is sided with Wonder-Ease, an adhesive backing that is usually used in quilting so that it can be ironed on to another surface!
The image used is a Polish paper cut that was rendered into a laser cut file via Illustrator.
This is a piece I made for one of my classes. The arm on the device will move in or out if it hears rain so that plant can be watered.
Some in process photos. A servo motor is programmed to the wooden piece out
PlantArm from Jen Liu on Vimeo.
view from my back window in Pittsburgh
Knitting a cord with yarn and conductive thread on the Embellish – Knit. this was then needle felted onto a knitted swatch to light up a lil LED! When needle felting – it is best to use 100% animal fiber. In the above example and for the project, I used an alpaca/lamb wool blend.
Knitting on the machine! This model uses a punch card reader.
Each piece is knitted on the machine and then assembled to create the sweater. Here it is right before all the side seams were completed.
Here it is after components are sewn on + trouble shooting!
So here is an inflatable costume I got so I could use the fan for a wearable inflatable project. The battery pack was a pretty clunky piece of plastic and I wanted to take it apart to make a softer case with a switch that could be extended and controlled from other parts of the body.
Taking the switch apart and using alligator clips to test how things work!
Making a soft battery case for 4 AA batteries. This design was based off of this!
When it sewed up it looked like a lil bunny so of course adding googly eyes, felt nose and puffy paint mouth was completely mandatory. 6V bunny battery pack good to go!
So here you have the new circuit kind of: the Bunny battery pack and then the control for the switch above which leads to the fan pack. When the blue wires are connected, it completes the circuit! The idea is that now the blue wires can be extended and turned into a soft switch that could be located somewhere else on the body.
Using the laser cutter I made some “clothing tags”.
It’s an idea that I’ve been harboring for awhile – which is to create reminders of the people and labor behind the goods we interact with, specifically clothing. NYU ITP is right around the corner from the site of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory, the site of one of the worst industrial disasters in U.S. history. Many unnecessary deaths were caused by locked stairways and exits, which was a way to prevent the workers from taking breaks. After this incident, there was a huge push for progressive labor reforms in American textile factories, benefiting many of the workers which were mostly women. However, reflecting on the current textile industry, the recent factory fires in Bangladesh that have taken over a thousand workers’ lives show little improvement in work conditions on a global scale. Many of these factories supply clothing for “fast-fashion” chains that produces trendy clothing at a low monetary cost.
I created these tags and sewed them into different garments in select stores around New York City. I am hoping that someone will see it and spend a moment to think about the hand that made/assembled/created the garment. On the flip side, I am also okay if nobody else ever sees it – it’s just my reaction to this complex issue and thinking of how we can start a dialogue on consumerism, fashion, production, etc.
So here at ITP I am working on a pair of leggings meant for cycling that have eyes on the butt that will blink depending on where you are turning. I wanted to work with a EL panels because you can cut into them and make fun shapes! — You just have to seal up the sides with tape (I used clear nail polish) to prevent yourself from getting shocked afterwards. Above is my before and after with cutting into the panels.
Part of my research in this project is looking at a lot of butts and thinking about placement of the lights for best visibility. New York City is a great place for this.